Having raised garden beds can make everything in your garden simple and far more controllable. You may use big planting boxes for your vegetables, herbs, or flowers, but raised garden beds are different.
Raised Garden Beds
Raised garden beds, also known as garden boxes, are a good idea for growing small plots of plants. There’s no question that your garden will look organized and tidy.
By using raised garden beds, there are many benefits you’ll experience, including:
- You can say goodbye to bad dirt since a raised beds can filled with customized soil and compost blends.
- They keep pathway weeds away from your garden soil.
- They help avoid soil compaction.
- They promote good water drainage.
- They can prevent pests, such as snails, from getting to your plants.
- The’y help older gardeners from back strains when bending over.
- You can grow your favorite plants by feeding and soaking them just when they need it for optimal growth.
- Since the drainage is built into the bed walls, the soil will be better held in place to keep erosion at bay.
- You can put your plants close to each other, which helps maximize water efficiency.
- They can look attractive and stylish.
This type of gardening is for novice gardeners and above. One of the reasons for this is that you cannot choose just any material when making garden beds. The bed material must be chosen carefully as your plants may require different material restrictions. You cannot use garden beds made from pine that are treated using chromate copper arsenate. This is a toxic chemical that may leak into the soil. It’s best to choose untreated timber material.
Alternatively, you can use concrete blocks for raising the beds even though it won’t be as attractive as pine or timber. However, it is less expensive. However, if you are not on budget you can buy ready made raised gardening beds as well.
Now we should talk about the size in case you have time for DIY raised garden beds. If you want to buy a ready made one, choose the size as you like.
When it comes to size, you can start from a 3 x 6 feet bed. This is great for planting tomatoes. You should ask yourself “what kind of plant do I want to put in my raised garden beds?” The 3 x 6 feet will certainly be narrow enough to reach easily from both sides. The height would likely be 1-2 feet in the ideal case. However, you can increase the height as you prefer, but remember that you’ll require more soil consequently.
After all work is done, now you need to orient your bed correctly. Put the bed facing south horizontally to get an equal amount of light exposure for all of the plants in your garden bed. If you have a bunch of kinds of plants, arrange them accordingly. Be careful not to put taller plants in front smaller ones so the light can be distributed evenly.
Next is digging the bed’s area. It’s suggested to dig around a 16-inch depth. Check the soil after digging; remove rocks if you find any so you can put the bed down without obstruction. Also, check for roots if any are present as they’ll steal the organic nutrients which you’ll later add to the soil. Then before you put soil in your garden bed, level your garden bed carefully to avoid any unbalance.
The last thing to do before putting soil in your bed is to put a 0.25-0.5 inch layer of metal mesh or hardware cloth at the very bottom to avoid any burrowing pests such as moles. The mesh or cloth should continue for at least 3 inches up inside the bed and be stapled in place.
Now it’s time for adding the soil. If you finished with making your garden beds, don’t fill it with dirt from your garden. Instead, use peat moss, compost, or soil mix planter. Spread it evenly across your garden bed then spray the soil with water to make the settle the soil.
Consult a gardening expert if you have any difficulties! You’ll find many hardware stores that sell raised garden beds have experts available for every detail. Happy gardening!
5 Best Selling Raised Garden Beds
If you’re not a DIYer, then going out and finding the right raised garden bed is a must. That’s why we put together a list of the best selling raised garden beds on the market today.
- ✔ SIZE: 96''(L) x 48''(W) x 12''(H), provide extra large growing space to raise vegetables, herbs, flowers and plants
- ✔ DURABLE: Made of stable thickened galvanized metal, strengthen crossbar with anti-rusty coating for long-time use
- ✔ OPEN BOTTOM: Sits on the ground garden bed, provide good drainage, keep weeds away from soil, defense against pests, and protect your plants
- ✔ SAFETY: Bottomless design, plants didn't touch the metal and eco-friendly coating do not contaminate soil, safe for plants and humans
- ✔ EASY SETUP: Only need about 5min and easy to put it together, go ahead to raise the plants
- SIZE: 40-1/2" L x 15-1/2" W x 31-1/2" H overall, planting box: 37-1/2" L x 15-1/2" W x 8" deep, holds about 2.5 cubic feet soil, provide ample growing space to raise vegetables, herbs, flowers and plants
- ERGONOMIC: Elevated raised planter box with legs eliminates the need to bend over, making gardening convenient. Raised garden bed on wheels, move to anywhere you want, with handy shelf holds accessories or tools
- METAL: Made of stable galvanized steel raised garden bed with anti-rusty grey coating, not made of wood which may rot. It can place outside or indoor for long time use
- DRAINAGE: In the middle of the cart is a drainage hole and drainage line to prevent waterlogging, planter can planted directly in the bed
- EASY SETUP: Space saving standing planter only need about 5min and easy to put it together, go ahead to raise the plants
- 【Weather Treated Fir Wood】MIXC raised garden beds is made of untreated fir wood, which resists warping and splitting over time better than cedar. Overall Dimension: 46”(L) X 21.6”(W) X 30”(H).The depth of the planter raised bed is 8.26 inches deep,that can be worked for tomato & carrots & any vegetable \flower.
- 【Drainage Holes & Inner Liner】Four drainage holes are convenient to drain out excess water. Besides, we also provide a Waterproof PE rubber membrane(67”*55”) for you to DIY. The liner helps to keep soil and moisture from rotting the wood.
- 【Easy to Assemble But Sturdy】With complimentary installation guide, you can put this Planter Box together was less than 10 min without hammer and a screwdriver. The joints are dovetailed, which designed for better load-bearing structure. It has a load capacity of up to 385LBS that far heavier than other products.
- 【Removable Dividers & Waterproof Legs】Using the shelves to make 8 grids to grow different vegetables or herbs, or disassemble shelves to make a whole garden box to grow more. The table legs are painted with waterproof paint that Can effectively prevent the legs from rotting.
- 【What You Get】 One garden bed + Black waterproof PE film+2 black hook + Installation guide, MIXC worry-free 24-month warranty, and friendly customer service(If the legs are cracked, we will provide exchange service. )
- EASY MOBILITY: Built with a set of locking wheels to move the planter from place to place and capture the right amounts of sun and shade
- ERGONOMIC STRUCTURE: Stands 32 inches tall, making it perfect for those who struggle to bend down or lean over while gardening
- GARDEN BED LINER: Separates wood from the soil, keeping planter in excellent condition and preventing weeds and pests from interfering with plant growth
- MAXIMIZE SPACE: Get the most out of your planting and storage space thanks to the large bed with a built-in storage shelf for your favorite garden accessories
- 4 DRAINAGE HOLES: Allows excess water to drain out, preventing root rot and oversaturation while keeping the soil fresh; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 48"(L) x 23.25"(W) x 32"(H); Weight Capacity: 100 lbs.
- DIMENSIONS: 32. 3 in. L x 14. 7 in. W x 30. 7 in. H
- WATER GAUGE: Easy to read water gauge indicates when plants need additional moisture
- DRAINAGE SYSTEM that can be opened or closed for full control of watering
- WATER RESERVOIR: Full watering system includes a reservoir to prevent root decay and over watering
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Simple assembly with easy-to-follow instructions
Last update on 2021-02-25, Source: Amazon.com