Having raised garden beds can make everything in your garden simple and far more controllable. You may use big planting boxes for your vegetables, herbs, or flowers, but raised garden beds are different.
Raised Garden Beds
Raised garden beds, also known as garden boxes, are a good idea for growing small plots of plants. There’s no question that your garden will look organized and tidy.
By using raised garden beds, there are many benefits you’ll experience, including:
- You can say goodbye to bad dirt since a raised beds can filled with customized soil and compost blends.
- They keep pathway weeds away from your garden soil.
- They help avoid soil compaction.
- They promote good water drainage.
- They can prevent pests, such as snails, from getting to your plants.
- The’y help older gardeners from back strains when bending over.
- You can grow your favorite plants by feeding and soaking them just when they need it for optimal growth.
- Since the drainage is built into the bed walls, the soil will be better held in place to keep erosion at bay.
- You can put your plants close to each other, which helps maximize water efficiency.
- They can look attractive and stylish.
This type of gardening is for novice gardeners and above. One of the reasons for this is that you cannot choose just any material when making garden beds. The bed material must be chosen carefully as your plants may require different material restrictions. You cannot use garden beds made from pine that are treated using chromate copper arsenate. This is a toxic chemical that may leak into the soil. It’s best to choose untreated timber material.
Alternatively, you can use concrete blocks for raising the beds even though it won’t be as attractive as pine or timber. However, it is less expensive. However, if you are not on budget you can buy ready made raised gardening beds as well.
Now we should talk about the size in case you have time for DIY raised garden beds. If you want to buy a ready made one, choose the size as you like.
When it comes to size, you can start from a 3 x 6 feet bed. This is great for planting tomatoes. You should ask yourself “what kind of plant do I want to put in my raised garden beds?” The 3 x 6 feet will certainly be narrow enough to reach easily from both sides. The height would likely be 1-2 feet in the ideal case. However, you can increase the height as you prefer, but remember that you’ll require more soil consequently.
After all work is done, now you need to orient your bed correctly. Put the bed facing south horizontally to get an equal amount of light exposure for all of the plants in your garden bed. If you have a bunch of kinds of plants, arrange them accordingly. Be careful not to put taller plants in front smaller ones so the light can be distributed evenly.
Next is digging the bed’s area. It’s suggested to dig around a 16-inch depth. Check the soil after digging; remove rocks if you find any so you can put the bed down without obstruction. Also, check for roots if any are present as they’ll steal the organic nutrients which you’ll later add to the soil. Then before you put soil in your garden bed, level your garden bed carefully to avoid any unbalance.
The last thing to do before putting soil in your bed is to put a 0.25-0.5 inch layer of metal mesh or hardware cloth at the very bottom to avoid any burrowing pests such as moles. The mesh or cloth should continue for at least 3 inches up inside the bed and be stapled in place.
Now it’s time for adding the soil. If you finished with making your garden beds, don’t fill it with dirt from your garden. Instead, use peat moss, compost, or soil mix planter. Spread it evenly across your garden bed then spray the soil with water to make the settle the soil.
Consult a gardening expert if you have any difficulties! You’ll find many hardware stores that sell raised garden beds have experts available for every detail. Happy gardening!
5 Best Selling Raised Garden Beds
If you’re not a DIYer, then going out and finding the right raised garden bed is a must. That’s why we put together a list of the best selling raised garden beds on the market today.
- ✔ SIZE: 96''(L) x 48''(W) x 12''(H), provide extra large growing space to raise vegetables, herbs, flowers and plants
- ✔ DURABLE: Made of stable thickened galvanized metal, strengthen crossbar with anti-rusty coating for long-time use
- ✔ OPEN BOTTOM: Sits on the ground garden bed, provide good drainage, keep weeds away from soil, defense against pests, and protect your plants
- ✔ SAFETY: Bottomless design, plants didn't touch the metal and eco-friendly coating do not contaminate soil, safe for plants and humans
- ✔ EASY SETUP: Only need about 5min and easy to put it together, go ahead to raise the plants
- Transform Your Yard Into A Flourishing Paradise: With the galvanized raised garden bed you can soon enjoy your homegrown, fresh produce! Planter raised beds are the perfect start to a veggie garden, flower bed or to growing your favorite herbs
- Built To Last For Many Harvesting Seasons To Come: The Kibaga raised beds for gardening vegetables are made of stable, durable & galvanized steel! Premium material - sure to impress you for a long time to come, a home to self-grown vegetables & thriving plants
- Easy To Assemble & Flexible Size: Only a few steps & you can start planting in your galvanized planter box! Rods to connect the panels, screws and simple instructions are included - you can even change the size (5.9x1.8x0.8ft) individually by removing panels. Super handy!
- Versatile Open-Bottom Raised Bed: The metal raised garden bed has an open base ensuring you can create the perfect environment for your veggies & plants to grow! Use galvanized planters for veggies, fruits, herbs or even set up colorful flowers
- Beautiful Addition To Any Garden: You will love the unique flair the modern garden beds add to your garden scenery with their curved oval shape and classic look
- BUILT TO LAST: Made of natural Chinese Fir wood to provide a gardening solution constructed to last through every season without discoloring or breaking down over the years
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Pre-sanded panels built with dovetail joints slide together and lock in place with screw-fastened posts for a quick, sturdy assembly
- MAXIMIZE SPACE: 8-foot garden bed provides ample space for plants to grow with an included liner to separate the wood from the soil and keep it in excellent condition
- GARDEN ORGANIZER: Separate and sort various types of plants, vegetables, fruits, and flowers with the included middle divider
- OUTDOOR ACCENT: Perfect decoration accessory that will complement any front or backyard, grass area, or budding garden; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 96"(L) x 24"(W) x 10"(H)
- DIMENSIONS: 32. 3 in. L x 14. 7 in. W x 30. 7 in. H
- WATER GAUGE: Easy to read water gauge indicates when plants need additional moisture
- DRAINAGE SYSTEM that can be opened or closed for full control of watering
- WATER RESERVOIR: Full watering system includes a reservoir to prevent root decay and over watering
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Simple assembly with easy-to-follow instructions
- LARGE PLANTING SPACE: Designed with a long bed space (SKY2383 5 CuFt/ SKY6152 8.4 CuFT) bed deep enough to ensure your plants and vegetables can breathe and grow healthy
- PROPER DRAINAGE: Allows excess water to drain out, keeping soil fresh and protecting plants from waterlogging or mineral buildup
- ALL-WOOD CONSTRUCTION: Naturally durable Chinese fir wood provides a water- and weather-safe structure that will avoid warps and sagging over time
- ERGONOMIC HEIGHT: The 30-inch tall design removes the need for bending or kneeling, preserving your back and knees as you tend to your balcony, deck, or patio garden
- RAISED GARDEN BED LINER: Separates wood from the soil, keeping the wooden garden planter in excellent condition and preventing weeds and pests from interfering with plant growth; (Note: Only available for SKY2383); OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 48.5"(L) x 23"(W) x 30"(H); Weight Capacity: 200 lbs.
Last update on 2021-07-28, Source: Amazon.com